2.7 Base: Remap Vs Sprinter Booster Vs Do Nothing ?

So i'm a serial 'improver'.  I've sorted the mechanicals on my 987 2.7 base, it's just back from the bodyshop after having the paintwork tidied up; and i've got and long had a hankering to Remap it. Or have i............?

I've barely read a bad report on Sprint-Booster's. And every buyer / user seems to love them across the car forums. But also having had a previous normally aspirated car remapped - i'm well aware that raw BHP figures mean little in terms of gains after a remap; and that real World driving is normally noticeably improved by way of getting rid of production line constraints in terms of fuel used, conservative mapping, emissions, noise regs etc etc

But is 'all that' in terms of mapping really worth it - and the fact i'd possibly like to keep it standard. And i also highly suspect most of the gains [Especially in this small-engined Porsche] might be at the top end of the rev range; which isn't the best for a solely road-used car.

So for those who have experience of either / both. Would you do the same again in hindsight ? Or just drive and enjoy it as it is......

1 hour ago, Craiglm68 said:

You have a problem/have too much spare time on your hands (still) and require professional help/another hobby/both. But seeing as we're on a topic and I have some spare time.....

The Sprint Booster as I understand does the same jobbie as the "Sport" button on sports chrono...basically makes the throttle more responsive to smaller inputs from your foot ...so great for when learning to heel/toe etc....but no change to engine outputs etc.  I honestly only use it when on track (same with PASM), so you shouldn't don't feel like you're missing out on anything tremendous. 

Remap....hotly debated. There's a few past strings on this  if you search (I've shared my own experience with my CS and DMS, which was positive). Short answer is, take care of engine breathing 1st (exhaust/air filter etc) before considering a remap, and even then, don't expect anything more than 10-15% increase in bhp / torque .....typically you'll only notice the gains when giving it some beans (which I tend to do, hence happy!), mid-upper rev range. Your 2.7 engine is a lovely piece of machinery, sounds great as standard, and is I'm sure already entertaining the panites off of you as is. If so, leave her as she is and enjoy.

LMAO ! 👍

And what you have my friend; is an uncanny ability to see deep into a man's being; from nothing more than a few scribbled ramblings on a car forum....

Appreciate your thoughts and experience. It's NOT about chasing power / speed. If i wanted that i'd have spent £2k on a 200mph Suzuki Hayabusa, or at the very least have bought an 'S' model Cayman as a start point. I'd be secretly surprised / pleased if Zensport for example - got close to the 8% bhp + torque gains they claim are likely. It's more about making it more sprightly, less lethargic, a bit more eager and responsive; out on the road and in the real World at sane speeds.

You used the word "tremendous" when describing Sport button and comparing it to a Sprint Booster as such. As in: not a tremendous difference. For a few hundred pounds i think anything that's at least genuinely noticeable from the seat of your pants would be all you could expect. I well realise as far as 'tuning' goes; that's a truly nominal amount. And tremendous isn't a word i'd expect to be using to describe the difference in either modification.

**My itch hasn't disappeared yet....... 😉

• Like 1

Doesn;t tuning add a little bit of HP and torque along the entire curve?  I'm looking at an FVD tune for my CS.

@Craiglm68 Still reading up on filters etc and a local workshop that sells BMC as an example, says it really does nothing over the stock filters.  They are recommending lower cell cats as the one hardware mod that can add power and a tad more when coupled with a tune.

Rather confusing for this novice..

5 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

Doesn;t tuning add a little bit of HP and torque along the entire curve?  I'm looking at an FVD tune for my CS.

@Craiglm68 Still reading up on filters etc and a local workshop that sells BMC as an example, says it really does nothing over the stock filters.  They are recommending lower cell cats as the one hardware mod that can add power and a tad more when coupled with a tune.

Rather confusing for this novice..

##Indeed it is, but the advice you received sounds on point.

Air filters (BMC and K&N pop up frequently) add a bit of induction noise, in theory allow a lower restriction flow of air, so might contribute 1 or 2 ponies worth only....a cheap mod at any rate. The breathing piece is key...I went for the standard Carnewal cat back set up (cost effective when you send your old system back and very popular amongst Caymanista's), others go the whole hog with headers, full exhausts upgrade if they have ££ to burn.

As for re-maps, there's a few reputable suppliers out there. I've had my car on 2 dyno's since my map ; at DMS (where the map was done) then later on at Regal Motorsport  (both down here on the coast), both returned near as dammit identical numbers (310-313hp at the wheels)....bear in mind that stock engines are rated officially at 295 at the flywheel for the gen 1, but as with many things Porsche, the "official" numbers can be slightly conservative (anecdotally I heard that actual outputs can vary by up to 3 or 4%...normally up rather than down).  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scott1967 said:

image.jpeg.6d0b34b9979a2047d565816383b49b5d.jpeg

Thanks for info / graphs. Pretty much exactly what Zensport (Who’d be fairly local to me) claim too. 

And what you say: backs up all that I’d hope for. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Scott1967 said:

image.jpeg.6d0b34b9979a2047d565816383b49b5d.jpeg

This looks a good bump!

Im not sure I have good custom mappers here so I'm going with FVD.  Still wondering if I should add the Carnewal 200 cel cat before I do...

17 hours ago, Tozerman said:

I say stop pissing about, make a decision, get it done and then if you are happy with it I'll get my car done also 😁😁

Legendary response 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Just go balls out and do everything. 😎

Or if you just want to spend a few hundred pounds on a mod that's easy to fit and you can feel an instant result, get a sprint booster.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4949.jpg

😲😲😲 Come on man - play the game. Thats unfair ! And no one likes a show-off.....🤣

Very nice in all seriousness. Health to enjoy.....

1 minute ago, sevenfourate said:

😲😲😲 Come on man - play the game. Thats unfair ! And no one likes a show-off.....🤣

Very nice in all seriousness. Health to enjoy.....

😉

I'm serious about the booster though. I use one and it's an immediate change, well worth the money.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 18:33, Dougle_turbo said:

😉

I'm serious about the booster though. I use one and it's an immediate change, well worth the money.

Fully believe you. Always get talked about on 'high performance' car forums. And i've hardly read a bad review anywhere; or heard about anyone who's disliked them.

I got talking to my Dad about them. He's recently bought an AMG400 Merc [3.5L V6 Twin Turbo with 333bhp). He was toying with the idea of a remap to 400bhp. But decided to try a Sprint Booster first. 4 or 5 days in with it fitted and he's smitten. So much so - he's pretty much decided he can't / won't be bothering with a remap now. As for real-World on the road driving below the ton mark it's done all he wanted. He say's he didn't even realise it was 'laggy' - until he fitted the Sprint Booster. And now there's no going back !

****Am i correct in thinking you can fit it [V3 version], set it up via the lead / controller - then once you've found an all-around setting you're happy with; remove the lead and it will hold that setting ?