987 Carbon Deck Lid - finally finished

Wow!  How on earth did you make that?  Dis you have to make a mould first or did you use original deck as the mould?  Looks stunning.

Looks like a piece of carbon art!😍

id be interested to know how the metal spring clips wear on the holes in the lid when they’re inserted / removed. Having just had to pry them all out of mine recently to access the lid damping weight. Might his damage the carbon fibre?

And also, would this necessitate a different lid damping weight (as the lid will be lighter)? 🤔

and how would the weight be fitted to the carbon lid - do you have threaded inserts in its ‘holes’? 🤔

Edited by Windymiller

It's been a bit of a trial and error journey if I am honest.  The moulds are HUGE for starters so everything is a two man lift but it's very very good as a result.  It's a straight copy of my deck-lid at the moment, nothing new or funky included.

As for the springs - CF is surprisingly strong and resilient once you have as many layers as we do - and the OE lid is already beefed up in those areas but we will see as we move forward.

Bolt holes etc. are all in place and yes, the damper (but more worryingly, the gas struts) will all need to be tweaked as we go. 

We're a long way from 'done' I expect.

• Founder

@Justin I wonder if you'll actually need the damper (or maybe a redesigned part) on a carbon boot lid...I'm no engineer by any definition, but I expect given the different weight, rigidity etc that the resonation will be very different to the OEM steel boot lid?  Just thinking out loud 👍

Great effort. This cannot have been easy to make, if you are thinking of making more and selling them please let me know. 

Would love to hear more about the doors too... 

Edited by crafty1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

By way of an update on this guys:

This is now on the car and I will provide a view of the same when it is back on one piece.  I have some shots - but only from a distance.  I have not refitted the internals as mine is not really a road focused car truth be told but I can in order to answer the many questions about weights etc. but yes, threaded inserts are provided per OEM for all elements - including the window wiper for those that need to retain it.

Some interest was shown and as we are about to pull the trigger on a very large project (Group buy for 997.1 doors with Kevlar Side Impact protection)  for delivery in Spring, I thought it worth asking before we kick into this - would a group buy on the 987 Decklids be of interest?

The 987.1 Cayman deck lid above comes out at £1,800 but we can certainly organise a 10+ item production run with a 50% deposit.  My expectation is this would be a £1,500 (max) tbc.

First time I have done this - but as I am not making from this - I hope the above is OK per Forum rules?

Cheers,

JR

Looks great Justin. At some stage I could have an interest but for now I am still spending money elsewhere on my car, but weight reduction is on my list. Would like to be able to see it in the 'carbon'  one day if possible? 

Is your car track only? 

On 04/12/2020 at 15:17, crafty1 said:

Looks great Justin. At some stage I could have an interest but for now I am still spending money elsewhere on my car, but weight reduction is on my list. Would like to be able to see it in the 'carbon'  one day if possible? 

Is your car track only? 

Thanks Crafty.  Track mainly I would say, It's insured and MOT'd etc. but it's been built for the 'ring so it's pretty uncivilized truth be told.  :91_thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...