Recommendations for the best tyres - 2014 Cayman 981

Davey P

Hi guys,

Can somebody please recommend the best tyres for my 2014 Cayman 981...?  Year round road usage only, and no track days.

I've done a search on here, and also on various other websites, but all I have done is confuse myself more than when I started! xD  One issue seems to be not all tyres are available in both sizes, and I would like to keep them all the same.

Tyre sizes are front 235/40 ZR19 and rear 265/40 ZR19.  

I currently have Pirelli P Zeros front and rear, which were fitted to the car when I bought it, but I understand they are not the best option, so I'd like to change for something better.

I would probably prefer N rated if possible, but if anyone has a good alternative suggestion I'm not tied to that (the car is not under OPC warranty).  I don't need suggestions for places to buy them, as I trust my local friendly garage to supply and fit at a fair price.

Any suggestions welcome, cheers

• Like 1

Michelin Pilot PS4 s. Available in both sizes, not made in N rating.

Used them on a 987.2cs and also my 981.

When I had my 24,000 mile old 987.2 in 2020 it came Pirelli N rated tyres with 6mm tread. they were 2 years old. I got rid of them afte 2,000 mies, they were horrible in the wet, very unpredictable and generally lacking in grip everywhere.

I transformed the car by fitting the Micjhelin PS4 S's. I similarly made sure my 981 CS had 4s's on as well. They also wear very well, far superior to Pirelli's and I suspect everything else.

Trust me , it's a no brainer. There's an onboard video (on here I think) of my car competing at a sprint with them on. They are very predicatable and grippy.

Edited by andygo
  • Like 1

Another +1 for PS4S.  Great tyre.  I've also tried Conti Sport Contact 6 and, whilst their wet grip is slightly superior, their longevity is not great.  I will also point out that there is PS4 and PS4S - you will want the latter.

• Like 1

The normal recommendation is the Pilot Sport 4S: they are fantastic tyres, so I would say that any slight price premium was justified. Predictable in the wet, too.

I would say, though, that the P Zeros are not so bad in comparison that I would bin them prematurely unless you're doing something with your Cayman that requires the better tyre: especially since you have a set of 4 matching. The P Zeros have a poor reputation in part because of their often ludicrous price, but the actual rubber is still good.

• Like 1

Don't be tempted by the new Bridgestone Potenzas. They're crap and fall apart (admittedly after track usage). Without wanting to be a sheep, the Pilot Sports really are a lot better.

PS4s any day, had them on a number of different cars and I wouldn't get anything else now if they were the option. 

Changed the way the car feels and drives. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much guys, I really appreciate you all taking the time to offer up suggestions.

I don't plan to change them until the MOT is due in March, so I've got plenty of time to decide anyway.

+1 for MPS4S 👍🏻
on my 2nd set. On 235/35 and 265/35 19” they’re around £850 for a set as a comparison price to your sizes. 

you could also compare pricing of the equivalent Goodyear eagle supersports (also well reviewed and recommended, albeit less usage of them amongst owners on here).

Or a good (but not quite as good) and cheaper (but certainly not a CHEAP tyre) is the Good Year Eagle F1 assymetric (available as N rated), on the sizes I’ve listed above they’re around £650 for a full set, so quite a price difference to the MPS4S, and markedly not as good, but by no means a poor tyre. Just a little dated in its technology nowadays. 

• Thanks 1

Got some quotes today for Michelin PS4S rear tyres, size 265/3519, which might be of interest:

QuickFit, SloaneAvenue, - £620 for pair incl VAT

Budget Tyres, Battersea Road - £565 for pair incl VAT

both next day delivery

Previous owner put on pair of Michelin P2 Spo in Sep 19 at Tech 9 Motorsport, Liverpool, only £350!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

@Porschaholic they do the 15% off every other month, pretty much.

I guess it’s like Euro Car Parts. 🤣

I tried getting a competitive price from my local Formula One. They said they can’t even buy tyres at trade to match Black Circles. 

23 hours ago, Porschaholic said:

I just bough a full set...

2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 235/35 R19 Y (91)

2 x Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 265/35 R19 Y (98)

£746.14 including fitting and VAT.  Black Circles has 15% off right now. I wasn't going to buy till later this year, but I'm not sure how long they'll be doing this price for.

Seems to only be applying to the 235s now sadly… 🙁

Code on the site was PSSAVE