Better exhaust noise required.

I've recently purchased a Cayman R which I believe must have the standard exhaust as it does not have the "Exhaust" button in the centre console. Anyone got any hints/tips etc on the best way to improve the exhaust note of the standard R exhaust?

The Carnewal GT exhaust is regarded as the way to go?

You drive over to Belgium & he fits a modified CR exhaust to your car while you wait but I gather he also does a mail order option...

• Like 1

I’d assumed all R’s had PSE, learn something new everyday. 

I went over to Carnewal for my base Cayman. Definitely better but not obtrusive. Gert is a nice bloke and it’s a great excuse to have a couple of nights in Bruges! 

5 hours ago, Paul Cooper said:

Hi Maverick and Blissya, thanks for the common recommendation. Blissya, having done this yourself could you give me an indication of cost? Cheers.

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87026/987-2-Carnewal-GT-exhaust-made-from-new-Cayman-R-mufflers

€3K plus travel and hotel, its a €4K+ upgrade I'd say. For about the same you could get it done at AutoFarm who can fit the official one including the dash button - it is the R version that they collate the parts for and piece it together from, not the S version fitted to an R.

• Like 1

Or you can change the manifolds... Drastically improves the exhaust note and gives some extra ponies.  It's also much cheaper than the options listed thus far.

11 hours ago, Julian987 said:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/987/p87026/987-2-Carnewal-GT-exhaust-made-from-new-Cayman-R-mufflers

€3K plus travel and hotel, its a €4K+ upgrade I'd say. For about the same you could get it done at AutoFarm who can fit the official one including the dash button - it is the R version that they collate the parts for and piece it together from, not the S version fitted to an R.

Sometimes I struggle to understand these recommendations.....£4K for a catback??? LOL it's not even a new improved design or anything, it's just your stock one opened, modified and rewelded! 

Just get the TopGear one it's £900 and sounds epic. If you need the remote control for your valves I have a free set you can have.

Gen2 cars have all 4 cats in the manifolds (gen1 cars have 2 in the manifolds and 2 in the catback). Anyone who's gone catless on the gen2 know that the car sounds like a mini GT3! It's just unreal.....but the price to pay is you need a remap to turn off the CEL and the sound might be a bit too much for some people.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrea said:

Sometimes I struggle to understand these recommendations.....£4K for a catback??? LOL it's not even a new improved design or anything, it's just your stock one opened, modified and rewelded! 

Just get the TopGear one it's £900 and sounds epic. If you need the remote control for your valves I have a free set you can have.

Gen2 cars have all 4 cats in the manifolds (gen1 cars have 2 in the manifolds and 2 in the catback). Anyone who's gone catless on the gen2 know that the car sounds like a mini GT3! It's just unreal.....but the price to pay is you need a remap to turn off the CEL and the sound might be a bit too much for some people.

I am of a similar opinion. I toyed with the Office PSE retrofit to my R but the one that came with it, a Milltek Cat Back Non Res https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod144522/Milltek-Sports-Exhaust-Muffler---Cat-Back-Non-resonated--louder--Porsche-987-Gen2-Boxster-S---Cayman-S-2009-2013/

...makes me wonder would the PSE sound £4K better? I doubt it.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2022 at 15:14, Paul Cooper said:

Hi Maverick and Blissya, thanks for the common recommendation. Blissya, having done this yourself could you give me an indication of cost? Cheers.

As mine is just the 2.9 it was about £450 fitted I think. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Julian987 said:

I am of a similar opinion. I toyed with the Office PSE retrofit to my R but the one that came with it, a Milltek Cat Back Non Res https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod144522/Milltek-Sports-Exhaust-Muffler---Cat-Back-Non-resonated--louder--Porsche-987-Gen2-Boxster-S---Cayman-S-2009-2013/

...makes me wonder would the PSE sound £4K better? I doubt it.

Exactly Julian, it's a steep price for not much.

Anyway if anyone needs a remote control for the exhaust please hit me as I have I don't need. It's free.

• Like 1

Carnewal 🤣🤣🤣 why... Just why! 

I've got a stainless system if you wanna try it £150? Sounds fantastic. I've only removed as going turbo. I think if you look bac thru my posts you'll see when I installed it not even a year ago.

On 18/11/2022 at 21:39, RossKH said:

I did a mail order process with Gert @ carnewall. massively cheaper than discussed on this thread + loving the noise improvement

Interested in the noise...  can you post a video?

What's the drone like at motorway speeds - I hear there is none