Several porsches, but none wave back...

Windymiller

Having waved like I'm marshalling a Hercules transporter into land and grinned like a Cheshire Cat at any (not just Caymans) Porsche that I pass on the roads in Bucks, all to not even the feigntest acknowledgement of my 'same marque' road etiquette I have drawn a conclusion that other Porsche drivers are either:

1) Ignorant / rude / snobbish

2) Too cool to wave back

3) Myopic

4) Enjoying their drive so much and gripping their wheel so fiercely they just don't notice me waving and gurning like a fool, and/or don't have the nerve to remove a hand from the wheel to wave back....

Other's impressions...?

Edited by Windymiller
Typo
  • Haha 1

I generally give an acknowledgement wave too 911's, Boxsters and Caymans and get a 'hit' rate of about 4/10 back.

Find the majority of those people who return the wave are owners that have gone for a few subtle modifications (wheel colour change etc...), those who have bought a special model (GT3, GTS, R etc...), or older base model cars where the owner is just enjoying the 'Porsche' experience without the 'snobbery, I have a 911' mentality.

• Like 1

I got talking to a neighbour who has a 911 Turbo so we bonded over the brand. trouble is it was only because i saw him inspecting the damage from a drugged up driver taking the side off while it was parked. 

I've realised what it is with 911 drivers.....

.... with a million of the cars having been built and (most) on the road it must be 'waving fatigue', essentially a 911 owners version of RSI. 

They're nigh on as common place as a Mondeo and you wouldn't catch 'Dagenham dustbin' drivers waving at each and everyone as they pass on the road, so the same must be the case for 911 drivers. 

Seeeemples...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Same... Not the same sort of "comradery" as you get with motorcycle riders! ... I always give a nod on my Fireblade & a flash etc to other Porsche drivers...

Sounds like perhaps we should lead by example and flash/wave at any and every Porcine Vehicle we see going the other way....it may take years, but a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step etc etc?

• 11 months later...

Maybe waving isn't enough..why don't we all commit to doing something a little more eye catching...perhaps a cheeky hard swerve into their lane then pulling back to the left just before a head on seems inevitable! Bound to get their attention......the "Cayman Curve and Swerve"?😨

Not a Porsche owner long here.

Saw a Cayman "identical" to mine recently when i was actually in the Porka and not the daily (Seen at least 3 local when in the daily). And the driver was looking right at me as he headed my way. Waved or thumbs up - and nothing back.

Won't stop me doing the same again though......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craiglm68 said:

Maybe waving isn't enough..why don't we all commit to doing something a little more eye catching...perhaps a cheeky hard swerve into their lane then pulling back to the left just before a head on seems inevitable! Bound to get their attention......the "Cayman Curve and Swerve"?😨

Great plan, bound to get them flashing their lights at you with this! Might even get a wave...or some sort of gesture 😂

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

I generally wave/flash my lights if I can determine that the car coming towards me is another Cayman owner.  I give a friendly wave and nod if a Porsche Boxster/911 owner pulls along side at lights or in traffic.  I don't do Cayenne/Macan since I am below the eye level.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2019 at 07:53, graham.reeds said:

I don't do Cayenne/Macan since I am below the eye level.

Well they’re not even real Porsche’s anyway.... 🤔

cayenne = re-badged & overpriced VW Touareg = re-badged & overpriced Skoda Karoq

😝😉😁🤪

• Haha 1

On 06/09/2019 at 07:53, graham.reeds said:

I generally wave/flash my lights if I can determine that the car coming towards me is another Cayman owner.  I give a friendly wave and nod if a Porsche Boxster/911 owner pulls along side at lights or in traffic.  I don't do Cayenne/Macan since I am below their level.

**Last sentence slightly amended for you. 

Somewhat feeling looked down upon by the 4x4 Porsche-variant brigade: is a common feeling to me. Not just since participating in Porsche ownership - to be fair. 

A wave from one ? You’re kidding. Most sit behind sunglasses year round - perhaps desperate not to admit to glances across: or give any direct eye contact. And sitting up high and looking down upon any (every ?) one around them has never been better personified.

***And being a cheap / old / base Porsche owner gives me no illusion of any grandeur. I’m just a petrol-head that appreciates many variants of interesting machinery and engineering diversity. And am well aware a few year old Mondeo likely costs more, is more  reliable and ultimately very capable. What it doesn’t possess is the ability to stir the same ownership or driving emotion.

Tongue in cheek ? Perhaps......

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

An old thread, but interesting read. Having owned and driven a variety of ‘enthusiasts’ cars, over many years, I have concluded the following…

1. in a 944, I can wave to other transaxle cars, but never a Cayman/Boxster/911.

2. in a Lotus, ALL (literally 100%), of other Lotus drivers will wave back. 

3. in a Mustang, random strangers will wave and give thumbs up.

4. in a Mk2 RS2000, I get waved by older guys, no matter what they’re driving - even by bikers. 

5. in a Focus RS, you give, and get ‘the nod’ mostly from young guys in hot Fords.

6. in a Mk1 Cortina, old boys wave, and at petrol stations everyone wants to tell you their dad had one like that.

7. in a BMW M4, you should never wave at anyone, and if they wave to you, it’s usually with a middle finger. 

8. in my Cayman- it’s still early days - maybe I’ll wait for others to wave first. 

• Haha 1

Funnily enough I saw 2 other Cayman 987 today. 1 white and one black. The guy in the black waved back but the guy in the white didn't acknowledge me despite me tailing him for a quarter of a mile.

• Founder

I used to get waved all the time by other Porsche drivers in the 996 which caught me by surprise actually.  In the 991, I don't think anybody has waved, or they do but it's a bit like the old Nescafe advert.....

On 21/01/2022 at 17:23, Beanoir™ said:

I used to get waved all the time by other Porsche drivers in the 996 which caught me by surprise actually.  In the 991, I don't think anybody has waved, or they do but it's a bit like the old Nescafe advert.....

I’ll wave at you on Sunday Nick, don’t you worry… 🙋‍♂️😉👍🏻