New Porsche Conundrum...987 or 996

Beanoir™

• Founder

Now I know, this is a Cayman forum right...what the hell am I thinking asking you lot these questions....  

But here it is.

The Problem 

The Cayman R is gone, and god I miss it like a dead dog, I need to fill the void soon.  Whilst the M5 is most definitely Uberholt Prestige in bucket loads, incredibly fast, comfortable and basically a beautiful car to own and drive everyday it is let down by the fact it’s not a Porsche.  I know, I’m hearing you, first world problems bla bla, but it’s still a problem no matter how many people are starving. 

This is is a toy for weekends and road trips.  

Solution 1

Buy another Cayman R.  My concern here is 3 fold.  1) I’ve been there, never sleep with your ex and all that, it’s never as good the second time around, just keep the memories, 2) it’s a lot of money and 3) I’m pretty convinced I could build a better car from a base Cayman S 

Solution 2

Buy a Gen2 Cayman S and mod it, by which I mean pukker stuff to turn it into a little racer, I’m thinking Ohlins, bucket seats, lightweight wheels, a decent full exhaust system and cats, and that kind of jazz.  A really dirty little rascal and something to tinker with.  

Solution 3

I’ve been offered a Gen2 996, for similar money to a Gen2 Cayman but the car has been properly specced up.  Aero kit and GT3 bumpers, lightweight wheels, KW V3 suspension, lightweight flywheel and clutch, trick diff, etc etc.  I’ve never had a 911 and so the appeal is something different and a bit of a project.  

So, I put it to you all, what would you do... 

• Founder

Yes, similar sort of thing to the CSR 996 actually, not a track focussed car but to use a phrase I’m not keen on ‘fast road’ type set up.  

2 things I’m not sure about the 996 though is the dates interior and the front headlights on the Gen2 996 :52_fearful:

This got me liking the idea more though, explains it all really... 

Thanks for the video ... :1_grinning: ...  ... get it !

Having driven RPM`s CSR Boxster I seriously considered `something 911` CSR prior to joining Porsche ownership back in 2016 ... maybe next year ? 

Good luck with the selection / decision process.  

option 4. save up for a year, forcing yourself to drive the M5, with sunglasses on, in case somebody might see you or the local drug lord thinks you are poaching his manor, and buy a GT4. go on, you know you want to.!!

Do it ??

CR - no - you’ve been there and done that. 

CS - no - you’ll always be comparing to your former CR. 

996 - future classic at relatively low prices currently. Get one that’s had a quality engine refurb, or one cheap enough that you don’t mind doing a refurb yourself. Have yourself a potent, cheap weekend toy and winter ‘project’ car. 

But don’t buy one in the awful metallic burgundy colour....

• Like 1

Number 2 on your list is kind of what I'm doing or part way through doing at least, you are welcome to have a go on Sunday and see what you think so far... 

The 996 you mention has real appeal, I owned a mk.2 996 GT3 for a while and whilst I never had it long enough to fully get to master it, I certainly get why people love them for the challenge, for me I was never fully comfortable with the light front end when it was low on fuel, but the traction out of corners was amazing. For sure I could drive my CS quicker out of the box than a 996 as they are more on your side but if you've never owned a 911 then it's def worth a look imo. Add to the fact that they are slowly on the up value wise also helps. 

• Like 1

A tweaked gen 2 Cayman S if you've got track days in mind.  On the other hand, if it's road use only, I can't see how you can really lose with another R.

Personally I've never been able to overcome my aversion to the rear engine concept of the 911, despite Porsche's undoubtedly brilliant efforts to minimise the inherent disadvantages.

I quite like the 996 headlights now, after years of hating them. But for me it would have to be a 997.

Also, with a fettled 911 or Cayman, think of residuals on resale. Most buyers want stock-ish. 

I hear a well specced standard 996 will be an investment. A Gen2 987... Maybe?

Out of your choices I think you'd be happiest with a "cheap" 987 S Gen2 and mod it with a eye on re-sale too, i.e. don't spend £40k modding it for it to be worth £20k.

• 8 months later...
On 10/01/2018 at 07:40, Beanoir said:

Yes, similar sort of thing to the CSR 996 actually, not a track focussed car but to use a phrase I’m not keen on ‘fast road’ type set up.  

2 things I’m not sure about the 996 though is the dates interior and the front headlights on the Gen2 996 :52_fearful:

This got me liking the idea more though, explains it all really... 

What a beauty - and love the colour

The egg lights have definitely grown on me

There's one thing with the 996, and 986 as they shared the interior...I like it spartan feel.

I also love how it feels "smaller"

We also have a 996.2 Turbo that feels so good for these reasons.

I love my cayman Gen 2 interior but getting in the 996-era one has more rawness to it ...hard to explain with words

I think you should go Carrera and a GEO at center gravity

Edited by Peopleandcars

Decisions decisions.....if it's a track day based  decision, a modified Cayman would be hard to beat. If it's a road driving based decision, I get the 996 leaning.....totally different driving experience (some would suggest slightly inferior to the CR/CS pack),  but just as (if not more?) involving....and it sounds like there's an itch to scratch! So option 2 or 3 then (and forget about resale considerations)

4 hours ago, Craiglm68 said:

Decisions decisions.....if it's a track day based  decision, a modified Cayman would be hard to beat. If it's a road driving based decision, I get the 996 leaning.....totally different driving experience (some would suggest slightly inferior to the CR/CS pack),  but just as (if not more?) involving....and it sounds like there's an itch to scratch! So option 2 or 3 then (and forget about resale considerations)

Dammit  I am browsing Mk1 gt3s on pistonheads and daydreaming now./

• Like 1