Tyre choice

Hi All,

Any advice on tyre choice would be appreciated. I have an '07 Cayman 2.7 that I purchased a few weeks back. the front tyres have good tread depth, but are shooing signs of age with widespread cracking.

The rears are good, with Michelin rubber, so thinking of going the same on the front, it has 18" wheels. I'm thinking of going pilot sport 3, any thoughts?

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary

I think I'd be tempted to go for Michelin Pilot Sport 4, I have the PS4S on my 19 inch wheels and I am very impressed but unless something has changed they only makes the PS4 in 18'' size not the S but I would not let that stop me. I don't know much about the PS3 but you don't hear them mentioned that often for Porsche fitment.

PS4S rocks! 

1 hour ago, Malcolm E Cay said:

Just my two cents but on all my Porsches I have only ever had Pirelli.

Never had any any cause to complain but each to their own.

Spice up your life a bit and try something better ;) 

2 hours ago, Malcolm E Cay said:

Just my two cents but on all my Porsches I have only ever had Pirelli.

Never had any any cause to complain but each to their own.

My PZeros (N0) cracked and Pirelli's engineer said they were defective and paid for my Goodyears. I will never touch Pirellis again, although their customer service was 100% perfect sorting the faulty ones.

My tyre retailer of 20 years raves about PS4 and PS4S after she went on a track day with Michelin where they blind tested all major brands and had to guess which was which. She told me the PS4/S was wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of everything else, and easy to guess which cars were on them. Goodyear F1 A2s have been great on two cars (TTS, 981) but I think I'll go PS4S 20" next time.

Many Members on this and other Forums are more aware of deficiencies in Pirelli PZero N0 tyres than are Porsche Centres.  It demonstrates one of the shortcomings in the "N" rating system.  The general consensus is that Michelin PS4 and PS4S tyres are ahead of the competition but, as yet, not all sizes are either available or "N" rated.  For the time being, it is likely that officially, Porsche continue to approve and fit the N0 PZero but not a non "N" rated PS4 tyre. 

I use 17" PS4 on an Audi B5 S4 Avant and 20" PS4S N0 on a 981 CS, am extremely happy with both.

My OPC are well versed on the PZero N0 `issue` along with similar regarding other brands.

The `lightly cracked` PZero N0`s that preceded my PS4S N0`s performed extremely well.   

Thanks all. PS4's fitted. Interestingly I contacted Michelin direct, they recommend PS2's.

I'll be able to test them in the wet shortly, there's a TIPEC meet about 15mins away, so thought I would pop down.

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Gary, keep us posted as to how you get on with the PS4S's. I know that the 981 and 982 owners are pleased with them so it will be good to hear from a 987 owner. I'll be particularly interested to know whether you notice a difference in the noise levels as the PS2 are rated at 70dB and the PS4S slightly louder at 71dB.

Thanks. Andrew.

I certainly will. After the rock hard 2011 Continentals that were on it, they are like night and day! They are giving a smoother ride and no scrubbing on full lock and feel ver secure in the wet.

I'm very new to Porsche, so haven't pushed it at all yet, but I'm sure that time will come.

Cheers

Gary

On 29/03/2018 at 18:12, garytipping said:

Thanks all. PS4's fitted. Interestingly I contacted Michelin direct, they recommend PS2's.

Cheers

Gary

Hi Gary,

have you got MPS4 or MPS4S tyres?

i believe they are different?

(EDIT: the MPS4 ‘S’ seems to be ‘track use approved’ according to Michelin’s website, whereas the MPS4 is not. Though I’ve no idea what that really means or counts for? ?)

Are the 19s N rated now? Not that it would necessarily bother me, just asking for pure interest. 

Thanks

Jason

Edited by Windymiller

• 2 months later...

Latest comment from Michelin - 

"MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 S has not been Porsche homologated in 19" yet. We have a number of N-marked MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 S tyres available in 20". Why N-marked tyres are not available in 19" is a question you should ask directly to Porsche as they decide on when a homologation should be made.

In case of difficulty, where specifically N marked tyres are not available, you can fit non marked tyres to Porsche 911(991) and Boxster/Cayman (981). Unfortunately, the MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4 S is not available as standard edition in both 235/40 -19 and 265/40 -19. We have the following 4 S combination available:

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 S EXTRA LOAD 235/40 ZR19 96(Y) CAI 368279

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4 S MO1 EXTRA LOAD 265/40 ZR19 102(Y) CAI 128677

We do not recommend this combination for two reasons.

1. It's mixing marked and non marked tyres, which in general is not a good idea.

2. The 265/40 -19 MO marked tyre is a tuned front tyre for Mercedes, which you want to fit to your rear axle. This is not a good idea either.

Therefore, I can only recommend the following Michelin solution for your Porsche Cayman type 981 2.7 L 275 (2013-) Original fitment; Front: 235/40 ZR19 92(Y) and Rear: 265/40 ZR19 98(Y):

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2 EXTRA LOAD 235/40 ZR19 96(Y) Product Code: 372115; Wet Grip: C; Fuel Consumption: E; Noise emission: 070 dB
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT CUP 2 EXTRA LOAD 265/40 ZR19 102(Y) Product Code: 888525; Wet Grip: C; Fuel Consumption: E; Noise emission: 071 dB

MICHELIN Pilot Sport Cup 2 is a semi-slick tyre and is considered a 90% track and 10% road tyre. It provides you with 50% more laps and improved wet grip to reduce aquaplaning. It is the only track tyre that can be used also on public roads. The technologies behind it like Track longevity 2.0 and Bi-Compound and also the 20% deeper tread optimize its characteristics to give you the best performance."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm just about to fit Yokohama Advan AD08r on my S.1 ... It's got Mich Pilot Sports on at the mo (strangely got 245/40/18 on the fronts?!?) I've found them great on the road but on track they turn to jelly imo...

I've also got the Yoko's on my 313 HR 350z & the track performance is spot on...

Decided to go with the 235/40/18 fronts but undecided about either a 35 or 40 profile on the rears??

Anybody know how the handling would be affected by running 40 profile fronts & 35 profile rears?!? :35_thinking:

Edited by Mavrik