Cayman Gen2 Headlight Bulbs

RobDJ

Hey all, 

I need to replace my headlight bulbs, the low beam is particularly poor on my car i've decided, I swear my old Mondeo had better headlights!  

What bulbs are people using these days to replace the standard halogen bulbs?  Sticking with standard, upgraded Halogens or LEDs?  I've read most LEDs have a really poor beam pattern and produce a lot of glare which i'm not really a fan of.  

Thanks guys! 

Ive read LED bulbs still aren’t up to the same accuracy of beam pattern as halogens...was a bit nervous of going that route, but seems from reading that thread there is good feedback from the members here.  

Mine had some after market HIDs. Really really rubbish so in the bin.

I’ve got the Chinese nighteyes in. Just briefly switched to Halfords £7 halogens for mot (Northern Ireland and no washer jets - it’s a problem don’t ask lol) . The Halfords stock are comedy bad as you’d expect.

But guess what?  the night eyes aren’t all that either if I’m honest. They’re a neat fit and look nice externally looking at them.  They’re probably good bulbs in other cars. But in my 987 they’re not amazing. Better than a big pair of candles. Seems no matter what you stick in it,  it’s not a car with bright eyes.  I think the stock Porsche stone scratches you get on the light covers probably don’t  help.

• 2 months later...

it is worth playing with the Nighteyes bulb positions within the mounts to get the best beams. I did mine off the car by using a workmate, white board, dry-marker pens and a battery booster pack to map the thrown beams then move the bulbs around to get the closest match yo the OE halogens. I ended up needle filing the bayonets to rotate the bulbs a bit more.

On 30/09/2018 at 09:15, Dougle_turbo said:

Yep, they’re the ones many of us have fitted. 

I thought the improvement over stock halogen was immediately noticeable and much more confidence inspiring in the dark. 

• Like 1

Do these Nighteye bulbs no throw up any Can bus errors on dash, I have a few sets of these but never fitted as told they send faults to dash, I also have the HID'S fitted on dip from factory in my 2008, cayman 987,

• 1 month later...

Guys,

‘maybe a stupid question...

are these LED nighteyes rosd legal?

i guess you have to change them before an MOT.

Cheers,

Andrea

Edited by Cito

On 31/12/2018 at 18:46, Bushman said:

Ive never seen or heard of canbus errors on these Nighteyes

Think I must of had a bad set of LEDS as mine threw up errors most of the time, they also flickered quite badly for about 5 minutes then settled down. I ended up refitting halogens for the time being. 

Ive had mine in now for at least 18 months and two MOT tests with no comments or adviso's  to do with the lights. Ive never had flickering or canbus warnings either.  considering Ive changed dips, mains and front fogs, I think that's ok. I did change all the rear bulbs for LEDs too and still had no errors but the emitted light was too white and made the rear lights look pink, sun-faded and dated so for now, I put the original tungsten bulbs back in.