987 "Performance" air filter thoughts.....

In regard of buying something re-useable and better sounding than stock. I think it's fairly well known a stock paper filter in these muffles the intake sound somewhat. And that a cotton filter (A-la K&N or BMC) will therefore give a slightly louder intake noise. Exaggerated on a Cayman perhaps; the lump being right behind you.....

But; another train of thought says that the aforementioned cotton filters - that require oiling (As the oil is part of the air filtration system) can cause clogging / misting... the MAF giving up the ghost.

So that would mean then using something like this:

https://nemesisuk.com/collections/porsche-cayman-intake/products/boxster-cayman-987-air-filter-afe-magnum-flow-pro-dry-s-11-10106

Or as a best blend of longevity, sound and performance; just swap out the original every 10k ? But that's boring.....😏

Another question is whether you really need to buy a specific cleaning/recharge kit??? :sAng_stirthepot:

Edited by Mavrik
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Windymiller said:

I just had a BMC filter fitted in last months service and the car felt quicker (I know this can’t be possible, can it?), which was probably an unconscious expectation on my part of wanting some ‘bang for my buck’.  But to be honest I wasn’t expecting any performance change simply from a filter (the removed OE one was only a year / 5k miles old), yet on the drive back from Porschacare I had a couple of unexpected moments of ‘holy shizzle this thing feels quicker’. Perhaps it was subjectively induces from it ‘sounding quicker’ with more intake / induction noise? 🤔🤷‍♂️

I hadn’t realised they required ‘oiling’ - I’d better look into that then... 🤨

And thus is another hotly debated topic altogether ! And one I purposely avoided to some degree 😁 Some Cayman owners do talk of sharpened throttle response. Typically below 3k. Some also talk of the car noticeably breathing better at the top end. Maybe this coupled with a service indeed gave you a bit more ‘zing’ ?

What about the noise for you. Any difference either way: and why / where ? 

Cheers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mavrik said:

I've used BMC filters in several cars (& sportbikes) & have never had any issues with MAF failure or fouling... That would really only occur due to over use of the recharge oil imo :35_thinking:

Good to hear. 

Not BMC I don’t think.  But I’ve had K&N’s, ITG’s and RAMAIR filters on various cars. No issues I know of / that have been proven or even thought to be specifically filter related.

Just wondered if the Cayman - and it’s MAF specifically was a different beast altogether. But as you elude: i suspect common sense logic applies. Or not as the case may be....

The MAF issues are mostly caused by people over oiling after washing the filter.  The oil won't leave a factory prepped filter, but can certainly leave one that's been overdone.  

I run a BMC one myself but couldn't really tell the difference.  The gains are all on the exhaust side, but that's obviously an issue if you dislike excessive exhaust noise (which I do).  I would think about your goals and what you could put that money towards instead.  The IPD plenum and 82mm TB for me were the real winners.  It completely eliminated the flat spot in the mid range.

If you're not bothered by exhaust noise, then the manifolds should be the plan of attack on a 987.2, and the cats in the back boxes on a .1.

Edited by Aaron

4 hours ago, Aaron said:

The MAF issues are mostly caused by people over oiling after washing the filter.  The oil won't leave a factory prepped filter, but can certainly leave one that's been overdone.  

I run a BMC one myself but couldn't really tell the difference.  The gains are all on the exhaust side, but that's obviously an issue if you dislike excessive exhaust noise (which I do).  I would think about your goals and what you could put that money towards instead.  The IPD plenum and 82mm TB for me were the real winners.  It completely eliminated the flat spot in the mid range.

If you're not bothered by exhaust noise, then the manifolds should be the plan of attack on a 987.2, and the cats in the back boxes on a .1.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've had a "lifetime" of cleaning / oiling air filters on Enduro bikes. So kind of got it off to a fine art now, although as they get so cruddy on those: most people have a number of filters they use / clean and oil in rotation. Either way i should be ok for not saturating !

I'm still unsure on an exhaust (987.1) but may at some point But have decided to de-snork while my grills are off and being painted; hence why i was considering an air filter to marry that 'mod' with.......

What I like about the BMC filter is that any time I fancy it I can give it a quick clean. I don't have to plan ahead, order a new filter etc.

For my 987.2 I certainly gained some induction noise, I don't think I noticed much of a change when I 'de snorked'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougle_turbo said:

What I like about the BMC filter is that any time I fancy it I can give it a quick clean. I don't have to plan ahead, order a new filter etc.

For my 987.2 I certainly gained some induction noise, I don't think I noticed much of a change when I 'de snorked'.

Both of those reasons will satisfy me !

I noticed a much nicer intake noise with the BMC filter over stock.

Then again, I remove the carpet engine cover when on track, so get a lot more induction/mechanical noise anyway. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jcm987 said:

I noticed a much nicer intake noise with the BMC filter over stock.

Then again, I remove the carpet engine cover when on track, so get a lot more induction/mechanical noise anyway. 

But still 'more' even with the carpet in place ? 

I've run a K&N filter for getting on for 2 years now with no issues whatsoever.  Definitely increased induction noise (in a good way), which may cause the feeling that you are getting more power, but I could not say it has increased BHP, in fact some think the stock filter is better performance wise.  Possibly the throttle response is a little sharper?  The noise and the longevity swayed it for me though - better to re-use then throw away and only needs re-oiling every 40K miles in normal conditions I think.       

• Like 1

And now someone should mention “de-snorking” and whether it’s a good/bad/worthwhile thing etc.....you can tell I’m starting to get bored with this dreary rain outside!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Craiglm68 said:

And now someone should mention “de-snorking” and whether it’s a good/bad/worthwhile thing etc.....you can tell I’m starting to get bored with this dreary rain outside!

Kinda related. Watch this ref de-snorking.......the air intake, its position / airflow around it etc etc

https://www.facebook.com/stewart.settles/videos/10213698116960883/?q=stewart%20settles&epa=SEARCH_BOX

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Some Cayman owners do talk of sharpened throttle response. Typically below 3k. Some also talk of the car noticeably breathing better at the top end.

What about the noise for you. Any difference either way: and why / where ? 

Cheers.

Aye it was definitely the lower end ‘pick up’ that felt quicker, literally took me by surprise - perhaps it’s just ‘breathing freer’? 🤔

ive had the car 3 years and get it serviced annually, with only ~6k miles per year, so I don’t think the service would have made a huge difference and I think the cars familiar enough to me now to feel when it seems different 🤔

Did sound more ‘inhalation’ ‘roarty’ in the cabin. 

But I accept this can all be entirely subjective. 

Returning to your original Q - ‘to BMC, or not to BMC’, subjectively, compared to stock paper filter - I think BMC is an improvement. 👍🏻

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

Kinda related. Watch this ref de-snorking.......the air intake, its position / airflow around it etc etc

https://www.facebook.com/stewart.settles/videos/10213698116960883/?q=stewart%20settles&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Great, another mod I have to get on with!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dougle_turbo said:

Great, another mod I have to get on with!

Great. Like you admitted recently:: I’m good at helping people spend income 'badly' 🤣

To be fair the guy appears to have as much credence as anyone. And the concept and reasonings make sense....

So when the scoops arriving ? 😎

Edited by sevenfourate