Latest tyre opinions.....

pandalf

I know the question of tyre preference will be constantly doing the rounds. So I have read a bunch of posts to help me finalise an opinion. But a few questions remain. 

I have a Cayman R with very healthy P Zeros on the front (fitted new in 2018 when I bought the car), but elderly P Zeros on the back that really need changing pretty soon. I have a Porsche warranty that will soon expire, so I am not that bothered about N ratings. 

My inclination is to move away from Pirelli, and I like the look (and price) of the new Goodyear Supersports. But I have no need to change the front tyres any time soon. My thinking is to go with the Goodyear's on the back now, and go Goodyear all round when it's time to swap the fronts. But that could be a few years away. 

So how big an issue is it to have different brands front and rear? 

And do folks have strong feelings based on the latest experiences of Goodyear versus Pirelli versus Michelin versus Bridgestone (I doubt I would consider anything else, but open to persuasion).

Edited by pandalf

It's of course best to have same tyre all around, but most of us won't notice any difference in handling.

Those Goodyear's are getting some good reviews.

What sort of annual mileage do you do, any track use?

If you are a high mileage motorway user for example, you'd be more interested in noise levels and longevity of the tyres.

Very valid questions. The answer is "embarrassingly low mileage" - probably about 1500-2000 miles a year. No track and usage is mainly solo drives in the lanes where I live and as many PCGB and TIPEC driveouts as I can manage. Not really worried about road noise - the top priority by far is handling and safety. My blue 987.1 base also has a mix of tyres - Bridgestone front and P Zero rear. I have never noticed any negativity in terms of handling or steering. 

As the others have said...when I 1st picked up my CS, it had old ish PS2's on the front, and Bridgestone RE050's on the rear (both N rated)....due to a blow out at an inopportune time, I've ended up with split Michelin's; PS4 on the front , SuperSport on the rear (neither are N rated). Improvement in ride and handling was material. And they manage 2-3 track days a year without issue as well.

• Thanks 1

Having had the Michelin PS and recently the PS4's fitted to my car.... although not a Cayman.... I cannot recommend them enough, the level of grip and general all round performance is fantastic, and well worth the money. I don't think I would put anything else on my car now. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 2 sets of Goodyear F1 SS on my Cayman S and they are incredible tyres. In both dry and wet conditions the grip is very good, and on the track they perform extremely well. Probably the most impressive thing about them is how long they last. My current set are being replaced (by MPS4S for comparison) this month and they have done 10,000 hard road miles + Donnington x 2, Bedford x 2, Spa, Nurburgring, Anglesey, Brands hatch, Blyton x 2, and a couple of others. 

By comparison the set of brand new P Zeros I had were terrible, and the car had a lot of understeer with them.

Given the price I would change all 4 to the Goodyears and keep the fronts for Justin.

• 2 weeks later...

I had Bridgestones all round and they were ok I suppose. I replaced the fronts with PS4's and there was a noticeable difference in the cars handling, it seemed to turn in a bit better. The rears wore out a few months later so i replaced them with PS4's as well. This had a really negative effect on the handling in that it gave the car a wobbly bottom. I'm not a tyre expert but the side walls seem to be really thin. At Blyton park the handling was so bad I held back for most of the day. On b roads I can feel the back of the car squirming slightly (tyre pressures quadruple checked!)

The Goodyears seem to be a really good option, I think I might try them next.

Another big up for the MPS4S - had them on my old BMW 1M and they were superb in all situations/conditions on the road. Changed from relatively new MPSS which I’ve never really got on with in anything other than warm/dry summer use.

I’m currently running N2 MPS2 on the Cayman and whilst they are the pick of available N rated tyres, I’m really looking forward to putting 4S on when warranty expires. The Goodyear SS look interesting but I’m a Michelin Man...

4 hours ago, Windymiller said:

A point to note re Michelin Pilot Sport tyres - there is a distinct difference in sidewall stiffness between; PS4 and PS4S tyres. 

The 4S being the ‘sport’ tyre, the 4 being the ‘normal driving’ tyre. 

Rough ‘hierarchy’ comparison between Michelin and Goodyear:

GY Eagle F1 = MPS4

GY Eagle SS = MPS4S

GY Eagle SS-R = MPS Cup 2

GY Eagle SS-RS = MPS Cup 2R

GY Intel linky:

https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/tires/car.html

Michelin Intel linky:

https://www.michelin.co.uk/auto/browse-tyres/by-usage/track

If you’re not tracking and not doing too many miles at a ‘spirited’ pace on the road and have no concerns re warranty then just change the worn tyres for GY F1 or MPS4. 

If you’re a harder driver and have cash to burn then swap out all 4 for GY SS or MPS4S - whichever you can find the best deal on. 

I had GYF1s previously and they were good on the road, but lacking on track. I changed to MPS4S last year and they are exceptional on the road and good on track. I do 5-6 track days a year and am by no means the fastest / hardest driver on track. 

when the MPS4S need changing I will probably try the GY SS for a comparison. 

This is spot on. My expectations were that MPS4 tyres would be great on the road and OK on the track. This would have suited my needs as I don't do much track work these days. They are in fact crap on B roads and really crap on the track. Very disappointed.  

So I'm on the hunt for a good all year round including wet weather driving. This sometimes can be a distance as I use as a daily. Would I be better off with PS4S or PS4? Or even GY F1 / SS ?

51 minutes ago, jaketame said:

So I'm on the hunt for a good all year round including wet weather driving. This sometimes can be a distance as I use as a daily. Would I be better off with PS4S or PS4? Or even GY F1 / SS ?

If you’re gonna get anywhere near a track in the year then MPS4S or GY SS. 

I also think the MPS4S is far superior in the wet on the road than the GY F1s I had previously. 👍🏻

a set of GY F1 in 19” fitted would be around £600. A set of MPS4S on 19” fitted around £800. Personally I think the extra £200 is money well spent for the better grip, feel, longevity etc. 

35 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

If you’re gonna get anywhere near a track in the year then MPS4S or GY SS. 

I also think the MPS4S is far superior in the wet on the road than the GY F1s I had previously. 👍🏻

a set of GY F1 in 19” fitted would be around £600. A set of MPS4S on 19” fitted around £800. Personally I think the extra £200 is money well spent for the better grip, feel, longevity etc. 

Sound advice. I'm hoping to get to the track next year but won't be until Spring/Summer most likely. But likely only 1-2 twice a year.

Happy to spend the extra if its worth it. Thanks

10 hours ago, peteslag said:

This is spot on. My expectations were that MPS4 tyres would be great on the road and OK on the track. This would have suited my needs as I don't do much track work these days. They are in fact crap on B roads and really crap on the track. Very disappointed.  

Disagree with the B road comments on the PS4. I’ve done about 100k miles on this tyre (BMW 130i, M135i, Lotus Exige V6 and mk7 Golf GTi). IMO and experience the best all round road tyre you can buy - assuming 18” and below otherwise PS4S.

Edited by swanny71
  • Like 1

• Founder

I have recently fitted 4 MPS4 on the 996. I have to say I think they’re a pretty good road tyre, but they do not perform to the same level as the MP4S or the old Super Sport, as you’d expect I guess. I think they’re ok on a B-road blast, but they do let go noticeably sooner.

13 hours ago, swanny71 said:

Disagree with the B road comments on the PS4. I’ve done about 100k miles on this tyre (BMW 130i, M135i, Lotus Exige V6 and mk7 Golf GTi). IMO and experience the best all round road tyre you can buy - assuming 18” and below otherwise PS4S.

I think it must be size dependent as most folk seem to like MPS4.

If I get the time later I'll post a picture and you will set what I mean.  In 265/40 18 the sidewalls look quite big. When you push the rear of the car side to side the rim moves laterally in and out by about an inch.  

1 hour ago, peteslag said:

I think it must be size dependent as most folk seem to like MPS4.

If I get the time later I'll post a picture and you will set what I mean.  In 265/40 18 the sidewalls look quite big. When you push the rear of the car side to side t

15 hours ago, jaketame said:

Sound advice. I'm hoping to get to the track next year but won't be until Spring/Summer most likely. But likely only 1-2 twice a year.

Happy to spend the extra if its worth it. Thanks

he rim moves laterally in and out by about an inch.  

Just purchased MP4S, 235/35/R19 on fronts and 265/35/R19 on the rears. £688 including delivery to my local Indy. Seems like a good deal to me.

On 02/09/2020 at 13:41, jaketame said:

Just purchased MP4S, 235/35/R19 on fronts and 265/35/R19 on the rears. £688 including delivery to my local Indy. Seems like a good deal to me.

A great price - I think you’ll be mightily impressed with them in all conditions. 👍🏻

4 hours ago, Windymiller said:

A great price - I think you’ll be mightily impressed with them in all conditions. 👍🏻

BlackCircles missed the delivery and got another £30 back from them :) Monday now for the tyres, its been with garage for a few weeks while we've had work done to get out of the way of vans, skips.