Are my Tyres doing my R justice

Hi

These are the details of my tyres, and, as you can probably tell by now, I am not that savvy with whats good/bad.

If you recall I mentioned how hard I found the ride in the R. I am getting used to it now, but are these tyres helping matters? 

OSF 

Tread (Inner): 5.5 Tread (Middle): 6.0 Tread (Outer): 6.5 Size: 235/35/19 Manufacturer: MICHELIN

Speed: 91Y N-Rating: N/A Reason: Not N Rated DOT Code: 3615

OSR 

Tread (Inner): 4.0 Tread (Middle): 5.0 Tread (Outer): 5.0 Size: 265/35/19 Manufacturer: MICHELIN

Speed: 98Y N-Rating: N/A Reason: Not N Rated DOT Code: 4415

NSR 

Tread (Inner): 4.0 Tread (Middle): 5.0 Tread (Outer): 5.0 Size: 265/35/19 Manufacturer: MICHELIN

NSF 

Tread (Inner): 5.5 Tread (Middle): 6.0 Tread (Outer): 6.5 Size: 235/35/19 Manufacturer: MICHELIN

Speed: 91Y N-Rating: N/A Reason: N/A DOT Code: 3615

8 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Hi

These are the details of my tyres, and, as you can probably tell by now, I am not that savvy with whats good/bad.

If you recall I mentioned how hard I found the ride in the R. I am getting used to it now, but are these tyres helping matters? 

OSF 

Speed: 91Y N-Rating: N/A Reason: Not N Rated DOT Code: 3615

OSR 

NSR 

NSF 

Speed: 91Y N-Rating: N/A Reason: N/A DOT Code: 3615

Are you sure they're not N rated? As Beanoir says above, I would guess that they are Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (will just say 'Pilot Sport' on the side followed by a very small 'PS2'). If so they are good tyres and are still made today but they 'old' in terms of tyre technology and yours are now around the age (6 years) where you could consider retiring them. Most manufacturers recommend replacing tyres after 5-10 years depending on condition.

If you do replace them then I think you would need to stick with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for Michelin N rated, though many now go with the non N rated Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S, note: the 'S' at the end is an important distinction!

Edit - I see you mentioned ride specifically. The tyres can influence the ride, but I doubt you would notice a huge difference tyre to tyre on the 19 inch wheels. That being said, if you do have Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 then this is quite a 'sporty' tyre which means that they have a relatively stiff sidewall. This is good for steering response and feedback but bad for ride. I suspect that the Pilot Sport 4 S would be better in this regard. In truth, I think you would need to go down wheel sizes to get a significantly better ride. The 18s would make a slight difference, but I have seen a noticeable improvement in low speed ride quality since moving to the 17s (Not advised by Porsche for the S or the R). Still a long way from a Rolls Royce though and they do have other impacts on both the drive and the looks of the car, which depending on your viewpoint may be positives or negatives! 

Edited by wtaite01

I swapped out the standard fit N rated pirelli P zeros for Pilot Sport 4 s's. Transformed the car - as expected. Ride noticeably improved plus grip factor so much better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, andygo said:

I swapped out the standard fit N rated pirelli P zeros for Pilot Sport 4 s's. Transformed the car - as expected. Ride noticeably improved plus grip factor so much better.

This is a much better and more succinct answer with a similar conclusion to mine and with the added benefit of direct experience😆. Pilot Sport 4 S are probably the way to go!

6 hours ago, andygo said:

Yup, just buy PS4S and be done with it.  Direct experience here too.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aaron said:

What Michelin tyres are they?  Take a picture of the sidewall if you're not sure.

It says on them Pilot Super Sport. It doesn't have a small PS2 on them, just Pilot Super Sport. How do the Super Sport differ to the Sport? I guess they are more 'Super' :) 

• Founder
5 minutes ago, Julian987 said:

It says on them Pilot Super Sport. It doesn't have a small PS2 on them, just Pilot Super Sport. How do the Super Sport differ to the Sport? I guess they are more 'Super' :) 

I had a set of MP Super Sport on my CR (and several sets on my M5

😉), they’re very good tyres and essentially the predecessor to the PS4S.  They won’t be N rated if they’re the correct size.    

But, the age of the tyres is still the question mark for you specifically Julian.  

I don’t think there’s much more to say than has been said above, get a set of PS4S and you can rest in the knowledge you have the best tyres for the car.  

Thank you for confirming. One last question. I assume I follow the same size as currently fitted, ie front 235/35/19 and rear 265/35/19 and what is the speed setting? should I stick with Y?

2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Yes, use the same size for the tyres but be sure to get the "XL" tyres that have the stronger sidewall.

Check sizes, find PS4S, make sure they're the XL variant, buy them, fit them, break them in - be happy.

My PS$ s's are XL. Get your card out and enjoy. My Pirellis were horrid. Wore visibly like all Pirellis, but so unprdictable, especially in the wet. Random understeery moments movingto oversteer on a whim. New Michelins solved all of that nastiness. I'm afraid I can't big them up without sounding like Bibendum is my dad. :)

I'll also vouch for the greatness of PS4S! Had them on my Golf 7R and they were superb... superb feel in the dry, also good in the wet, low road noise and excellent durability. 

I have Pilot Super Sports all round on my CR at the moment which have plenty of life left in them, but will definitely be swapping to PS4S when it's time to change. 👍

Am into my 2nd set of PS4S up front (came from Goodyear Eagle  F1s) - for a road tyre that seems to freakishly provide equivalent levels of grip and control in both wet and dry (and that can see you round a track at reasonable speeds too) I don’t think there’s anything better to shod your wheels with. 👍🏻

Thank you for everyones advice. Is the XL sidewall not only stronger but it is a deeper sidewall? I love that air cooled deep side wall look....probably pushing my luck there huh with tyres at that starting size. 

7 hours ago, Julian987 said:

Thank you for everyones advice. Is the XL sidewall not only stronger but it is a deeper sidewall? I love that air cooled deep side wall look....probably pushing my luck there huh with tyres at that starting size. 

The sidewall size is dictated by the profile. So on a 265/40/18 wheel, it will be the 40 number. It means that the sidewall will be 40% of 265mm. The xl is just about sidewall stiffness, not size. 

I would recommend going with the newly released Bridgestone Potenza Sport, instead of PS4S. The grip is just bonkers when warm, the price is ca. 15% lower and it is the newest tire in this segment (PS4S is already a 4-5yrs old design).

Direct experience here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wojt Pruszkowski said:

I would recommend going with the newly released Bridgestone Potenza Sport, instead of PS4S. The grip is just bonkers when warm, the price is ca. 15% lower and it is the newest tire in this segment (PS4S is already a 4-5yrs old design).

Direct experience here.

I looked into these for the 18s but they don't do the correct sized rear tyre. They only have a 45 profile, 265 tyre

1 hour ago, Lennym1984 said:

I looked into these for the 18s but they don't do the correct sized rear tyre. They only have a 45 profile, 265 tyre

They seem to be available in 40 too: https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/bridgestone/potenza-sport/265/40/R265/Y/101/m?tyre=41860182

I find tyre reviews tends to be pretty hot on the sizes: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Bridgestone/Potenza-Sport.htm/price/265-40-18

PS4, but not 4S are also available in the OEM 18 inch sizes.

Ahhh I spoke to Bridgestone and they told me they only had a 45 profile. Had I known that they were lying, I would definitely have given these a go