• 3 years later...

Damn it - I’ve just getting this too now and the planet 9 link no longer seems to be active. 

Anyone else fixed this?  Back to google for now I guess... 🤔🤷‍♂️

21 hours ago, Windymiller said:

@Maxheadroom - thanks for the Intel. I’ll wind em out a little, see if that resolves it. And perhaps order some new ones of it does. 👍🏻

No probs @Windymiller, keeping fingers crossed as it’s such a simple fix

Thanks for the tip, I get this rattle sometimes so I have just unwouned mine quarter turn. They feel secure but a little loose now so will see if it helps. 

• Like 1

I’ve just wound mine out a half turn, the boot lid for felt ‘tighter’ when I closed it. Will go for a drive and report back on whether that’s solved the ‘rattle-clunk’... 

• Like 1

Look forward to your updates....might try this fix myself (my mechanical skills are VERY limited re anything more involved...)

• Like 1

Well back from a drive and the noise is still there. 🤔

it does sound like something ‘jiggling’ about somewhere ‘in the boot’, and as the boot is empty I think it likely is the counterbalance weight in the boot lid clonking around a bit. 

think I’ll need to Strip the boot lid trim off (once I’ve found a ‘how to’). 

15 hours ago, Windymiller said:

Well back from a drive and the noise is still there. 🤔

it does sound like something ‘jiggling’ about somewhere ‘in the boot’, and as the boot is empty I think it likely is the counterbalance weight in the boot lid clonking around a bit. 

think I’ll need to Strip the boot lid trim off (once I’ve found a ‘how to’). 

Damm, that's a shame :(. Did you try and wind buffers out a tad more until their nearly fully out ? there is a "how to" out there somewhere think it was on plant 9 too which I used to remove trunk trim, think all I needed was a good selection of trim removal tools ( plenty on ebay ).

I've had to wind mine out a fair way to keep the tailgate quiet. Does make closing it quite a hard push though.

Beyond that the clunking may be suspension, possibly rear top mounts?

Thanks both, I’ll wind out some more and go for a drive on Saturday. 

I had thought it might be a suspension noise, but it really does sound like something ‘jiggling’ rather than knocking / clonking, and seems only / more noticeable at lower speeds over constant bumpy surface - like a resonant frequency is reached causing the counter weight to oscillate 🤔

ive got a Nielsen trim tool set - best £9 spent on amazon ever, especially when it came to recent centre console removal and recent Kia Sportage door trim removal for an intermittent window switch problem 😉👍🏻

I'll try mine later. Also worth checking that the rear lights are securely in place, sounds crazy on a Porsche I know but my rear left felt a little loose. Also check the trim panel that covers the rear of the light, there should be little white cup that the ' clip'  fixes into. Mine seemed loose so I added a bit of packing to it.

Edited by Rob66

hi guys, I had "trunk clunk" when I first got my Croc 4 years ago, when I stripped the lid trim off sometime later to fit the rear spoiler I found the mass damper wobbling on its rubber mounts and would clonk the lid when moved hard. I loosened if off and put foam tape underneath, the black closed cell tape with adhesive on one side that's about 6mm thick and probably 20-25mm wide (RS Components). then tightened it all back up again.  Sorted, never has another clonk since. 

hope this might help.

So I wound the trunk-lid bump-stop thingees all the way out and that didn’t stop the noise. I don’t think it is the tail-lid itself moving / rattling - it certainly sounds like something inside it ‘clunking’ about over smaller, lower frequency bumps. 

I found this item for a bit of insight into how to remove the trim. I’m away with work currently so will have a go once back home later this week. 
https://www.planet-9.com/threads/removing-trim-from-rear-hatch-on-cayman.98235/

I think I will also get some new trunk-lid bump-stop thingees ordered anyway - surely they can’t cost much 🤔🤷‍♂️

• Founder
17 minutes ago, Windymiller said:

So I wound the trunk-lid bump-stop thingees all the way out and that didn’t stop the noise. I don’t think it is the tail-lid itself moving / rattling - it certainly sounds like something inside it ‘clunking’ about over smaller, lower frequency bumps. 

I found this item for a bit of insight into how to remove the trim. I’m away with work currently so will have a go once back home later this week. 
https://www.planet-9.com/threads/removing-trim-from-rear-hatch-on-cayman.98235/

I think I will also get some new trunk-lid bump-stop thingees ordered anyway - surely they can’t cost much 🤔🤷‍♂️

I did this on my Cayman S, my solution being very similar to what Steve described above.  It's easy enough to do, just a bit time consuming removing all the trim.  Having some of those plastic trim removal tools does make the job easier. 

• Founder
10 hours ago, donald311 said:

care to share

Well, like I said, solution for mine was to remove the boot lid plastic trim and insert some foam between the damper and the boot lid.  

Word of caution though, there are a number of things that can cause rattles and clunks in the rear of a Cayman.  Always check the following:

1. Boot Lid Bump Stops - ensure they are adjusted correctly 

2. Rear light clusters - often become loose and need tightening up

3. Boot Lid Rubber Cushion - halfway up the boot lid are rubber cushions that become compressed with age and use.  Replace these.  
4. Boot Lid Trim - if they plastic trim/cover has been removed and refitted poorly or without the correct metal fixings then this can rattle and knock 

5. High Level Brake Light - has been known to be a source of rattling and can be fixed with foam padding 

• Like 1

Finally took my trunk lid apart (I’ll post a ‘how to’ guide when I reassemble it all) and think I’ve found the issue. 

the counter balance mass has a split in the rubber ‘flange’ on it, and I note there is now an ‘mk 3’ version of it so probably an improved version. 

see photo for split - I’m assuming this would make it ‘wobble’ more over smaller frequency bumps... 🤔🤷‍♂️

6B30BBF0-A5F6-4ECE-B173-2023ED838E33.jpeg

• Like 1