Jump to content

"Cheap" GT3 Master Cylinder


Lennym1984

Recommended Posts

So following on from my most recent track day, I have decided to give the GT3 MC a go. It's not that the brakes don't work (and I've made a few changes to get the heat under control now) but the lack of feel and consistency makes it hard to be confident in them (I keep finding myself getting my foot on the brake pedal early just to ensure that I'm finding the "biting point" in time).

 

Anyway, long story short, most places are now charging £200+ but I eventually found the below seller who had it (with postage) for less than £100.

 

I was a bit nervous about ordering from them (mixed feedback) but I pressed the button on Sunday morning and it arrived today in a sealed TRW box. All is legit so I thought I would pass on the details in case anybody is looking for one:

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184085769754

 

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

Nice modernisation upgrade too 👌

 

The brakes on the 987 are just plain weird really. The calipers are the same as on the 986 and yet the brake feel of the 986 is far superior. I guess they tried to make them feel more like a "modern" car in the 987 (the 986 brakes needed a good shove to work like old skool Porsche brakes) but just ended up making them feel a bit crap

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2020 at 14:20, Lennym1984 said:

So following on from my most recent track day, I have decided to give the GT3 MC a go. It's not that the brakes don't work (and I've made a few changes to get the heat under control now) but the lack of feel and consistency makes it hard to be confident in them (I keep finding myself getting my foot on the brake pedal early just to ensure that I'm finding the "biting point" in time).

 

Anyway, long story short, most places are now charging £200+ but I eventually found the below seller who had it (with postage) for less than £100.

 

I was a bit nervous about ordering from them (mixed feedback) but I pressed the button on Sunday morning and it arrived today in a sealed TRW box. All is legit so I thought I would pass on the details in case anybody is looking for one:

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184085769754

 

 

 

 

Hope its fits my 2010 Cayman S, just ordered one!

 

The long ish squishy pedal, even with mint discs and pads is not the most confidence inspiring part of the car and seeing as I'm looking to revisit Spa next year, a long squshy pedal isn't going to add to the fun - might add to the excitement, but I'm not a fan of a 'will it won't it stop' moment from 130 mph at the end of the Kemmel straight or into the Bus Stop chicane...

Edited by andygo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2020 at 20:28, andygo said:

Hope its fits my 2010 Cayman S, just ordered one!

It will do - fitted one to my 2010 S. 
 

Made such a difference to initial bite (much more immediate upon pedal depress) and more ‘solid feeling’ through pedal travel - though this might be as much to do with braided hoses and RBF600 fluid. 🤔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sevenfourate said:

^^^^^

 

Can confirm this....having purchased and fitted one a while ago 👌

 

ZShqGfD.jpg

 

4L3GP3V.jpg

 

dsxLZxK.jpg

 

Enjoy your upgrade.

Was it pretty sraightforward to swap with regards to bleeding?

 

I presume if the brake pipes dont drain and the MC is primed and re connected 'wet' to the pipes, then bleeding should be starightforward without the need to involve the ABS cycling procedure.

 

For £98 inc delivery from Germany, it must be worth a punt! As far as I can tell from various forums, the part number matches the correct Porsche fitment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TRW manufacturer the MC for most Porsches.  It's exactly what you'll get from a dealer, except it will have a Porsche box.

 

The manual states not to prime the MC before installation.  I would bleed the ABS anyway; you don't want to risk it for the sake of 20 minutes bleeding brakes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand you need the durametric to cycle the ABS, which I dont have.

 

Wonder why you wouldn't want to prime the MC? Seems odd as you are therefore bound to introduce significant air into the system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to drive the car after the install and bleed, activate the ABS a few times, then bleed it again.

 

PIWIS/Durametric can manually operate the ABS pump.  It's not that it's only possible from those tools; it's just significantly easier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/12/2020 at 18:53, andygo said:

Was it pretty sraightforward to swap with regards to bleeding?

 

I presume if the brake pipes dont drain and the MC is primed and re connected 'wet' to the pipes, then bleeding should be starightforward without the need to involve the ABS cycling procedure.

 

For £98 inc delivery from Germany, it must be worth a punt! As far as I can tell from various forums, the part number matches the correct Porsche fitment.

 

I've just double checked and cross referenced the part number 99735591031 and it matches TRWPMN166.

 

Thats a bargain and definitely a job for spring!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've had the TRW PWN166 MC on my car for nearly 4 years now.  It's absolutely the right part.

 

Anyone that's on the fence about it: pick one up.  You won't regret it.  Especially not at £98...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Aaron said:

I've had the TRW PWN166 MC on my car for nearly 4 years now.  It's absolutely the right part.

 

Anyone that's on the fence about it: pick one up.  You won't regret it.  Especially not at £98...

 I keyed in 2010 Cayman S into the compatibility check and it says it does not fit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Liongolfer said:

 I keyed in 2010 Cayman S into the compatibility check and it says it does not fit?


Like most parts I’ve bought for mine on eBay (That all fitted perfectly).

 

You’ve got no worries with this one 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

 I keyed in 2010 Cayman S into the compatibility check and it says it does not fit?

Technically it won't be compatible. No 987 Cayman came from the factory fitted with a GT3 MC in the same way that none came from the factory fitten with a GT3 ARB. Just because it is not compatible on the system doesn't mean that it won't actual fit in practice.

 

ETA: Sorry that message sounded a bit aggressive/sarky. That was not the intention :)

Edited by Lennym1984
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Technically it won't be compatible. No 987 Cayman came from the factory fitted with a GT3 MC in the same way that none came from the factory fitten with a GT3 ARB. Just because it is not compatible on the system doesn't mean that it won't actual fit in practice.

 

Same ‘Porsche logic’ principle applied to the £100 997 PSE exhaust valve that Porsche says isn’t the right part for the 987 PSE (which necessitates a £3k rear silencer replacement) - yet ‘miraculously’ the Pierburg manufactured 997 new valve is a totally compatible replacement for the Pierburg manufactured 987 old valve I took off. 
 

when you consider that the design brief for the 987/997 models was that everything up to the B pillar should be common components (to reduce manufacturing costs) it’s not really surprising that so much is safely interchangeable between models. 👍🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.