"Cheap" GT3 Master Cylinder

10 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

Like most parts I’ve bought for mine on eBay (That all fitted perfectly).

You’ve got no worries with this one 👍

Thanks.  Tried to order only to find out they don't ship to my shores.. LOL...

9 hours ago, Lennym1984 said:

Technically it won't be compatible. No 987 Cayman came from the factory fitted with a GT3 MC in the same way that none came from the factory fitten with a GT3 ARB. Just because it is not compatible on the system doesn't mean that it won't actual fit in practice.

ETA: Sorry that message sounded a bit aggressive/sarky. That was not the intention :)

No worries.  I've learnt to give benefit of doubt over the net. A lot of times, intent or lack of is wrongly inferred.  Thanks for replying.

3 hours ago, Liongolfer said:

Thanks.  Tried to order only to find out they don't ship to my shores.. LOL...

If it still saves you money: I’ll willingly post on to you if you want to get it sent to me in the U.K. ?

• Like 1

On 16/12/2020 at 12:54, sevenfourate said:

If it still saves you money: I’ll willingly post on to you if you want to get it sent to me in the U.K. ?

Hi,

Really appreciate this. I've sent you a OM for your addy to have it shipped to you.  Will include my shipping addy as well.

Thanks again.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liongolfer said:

Hi,

Really appreciate this. I've sent you a OM for your addy to have it shipped to you.  Will include my shipping addy as well.

Thanks again.  

Pleasure Arthur.

DM replied to with U.K. postal address....

On 15/12/2020 at 05:08, Spykee said:

I've just double checked and cross referenced the part number 99735591031 and it matches TRWPMN166.

Thats a bargain and definitely a job for spring!

Isn't the part number 99735591030 and not XXX031?

On 10/12/2020 at 22:20, Lennym1984 said:

So following on from my most recent track day, I have decided to give the GT3 MC a go. It's not that the brakes don't work (and I've made a few changes to get the heat under control now) but the lack of feel and consistency makes it hard to be confident in them (I keep finding myself getting my foot on the brake pedal early just to ensure that I'm finding the "biting point" in time).

Anyway, long story short, most places are now charging £200+ but I eventually found the below seller who had it (with postage) for less than £100.

I was a bit nervous about ordering from them (mixed feedback) but I pressed the button on Sunday morning and it arrived today in a sealed TRW box. All is legit so I thought I would pass on the details in case anybody is looking for one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184085769754

Lenny and others, some help please.  So the part in this link will be a sure fit for a 2010 Cayman 987.2 3.4S PDK Non-PASM?  If yes, will proceed to purchase.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by Liongolfer

1 hour ago, Liongolfer said:

Lenny and others, some help please.  So the part in this link will be a sure fit for a 2010 Cayman 987.2 3.4S PDK Non-PASM?  If yes, will proceed to purchase.  Thanks in advance.

Info from my order:

Item No. Description Quantity Price Total A09513W810 TRW PMN166 brake master cylinder for PORSCHE 911 (997) 99735591030 1 85.95 EUR 85.95 EUR Total amount 85.95 EUR Shipping costs EUR 18.95

On 13/12/2020 at 07:47, Windymiller said:

It will do - fitted one to my 2010 S. 

Made such a difference to initial bite (much more immediate upon pedal depress) and more ‘solid feeling’ through pedal travel - though this might be as much to do with braided hoses and RBF600 fluid. 🤔

Just saw this.  Thanks.  Ordered one.

Why do the instructions say not to prime the MC before fitting? Everything I find on the net says its the way to do it, and it sounds logical to me otherwise you must be introducing big slugs of air into the system.

If you have disconnected the brake lines from the old MC, and keep them in a raised position, then they shouldn't leak much fluid. If you then connect them up to the new, primed MC which is dribbling fluid form the body, then surely there is little air introduced into the braking sysem, making it easier to bleed. Am I missing something, why the opposite advice?

I assume it's because you can damage the MC if it's operated incorrectly.

I didn't prime it (I trust the manufacturer of brake components over people on the Internet) and it bled out just fine.  The extra time required to load it up, transport it, not spill anything whilst installing, etc. is arguably much more effort than just bleeding it for another few mins.  Use a vacuum pump and it'll be fine.

Here's an older post I did on it: 

Pay close attention to what the prices were back then if anyone is thinking of passing this up at £98...

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted my GT3 M/Cyl today.

Primed the M/C on the bench then fitted it which was straightforward.

Bled the brakes by doing the outer bleed nipplesfirst with wheels on - easy with 19" rims. Went up the road with a mushy pedal which I expected, invoked the ABS by pumping pedal up then applying firmly.

Came home, wheels off, bled inner and outer calipers and BINGO!

Very solid pedal, really impressed, very confidence inspiring. Best £78 I have ever spent on a mod and a very straighforward operation to carry out.

Edited by andygo

1 hour ago, Jon Panayi said:

Am I clicking the wrong link? It says that the seller won’t ship to the UK?

Thanks!

Might be to do with Brexit? Just looked, right link, we are in the wrong country!

11 hours ago, Sean C said:

Hi All,

Do you know if the cayman 2011 R - would need this upgrade? Does it have the same braking system as the S?

Thank You 

Sean

It isn't needed but yes it might be good. 

The Cayman R is mechanically identical to a normal 987.2 Cayman with the exception of different shocks/springs, a remap, and aluminium doors

• Like 1

Chances are that due to us being dragged out of the EU the prices will be higher from now on... Don't get me started ffs!!!!! 😠